At Houseman Services, we know all about lawn care. This series is dedicated to educating you about the most common lawn types in Georgia. Each week in this series, we will cover these different grasses:
This blog will be all about Bermuda grass.
One of the most popular warm-season grasses in Georgia is Bermuda which can easily be planted from grass seed, sod or grass plugs.
It is a dense, dark green grass with fine to medium blades. Bermuda is the most popular warm season turf grass among Georgia homeowners. This grass is idea for families with young children and pets because it holds up very well to heavy foot traffic.
Type: Warm season grass
Sun Exposure: Full sun to very light shade
Bermuda grass is specifically planned for certain locations:
- Golf courses
- Beautiful, durable grass lawns
- Traffic tolerant and nutritious pastures
- Sports turf
- Athletic fields, and more
This perennial grass grows in tropical, sub-tropical and the transition zones.
There are many benefits to a Bermuda lawn:
- Drought resistant and highly versatile.
- During average rainfall years, Bermuda will keep a beautiful green color all year round in the warmer tropical south.
- Depending upon the usage, it can be grown on low to high maintenance schedules.
- Bermuda lawns can attain full lawn coverage in just one year. Plugged or seeded Bermuda lawns can be established within 60-90 days.
- Bermuda is self-germinating, which means that it spreads on its own. As long as you are doing what needs to be done to maintain a good, healthy lawn, there is no need to seed Bermuda Grass.
- It is tough to kill Bermuda grass after it roots since it is one of the most persistent and aggressive grasses grown.
- Salt tolerant.
- Can be mown closely – ½ to ¾ inch mowing heights for most varieties.
Bermuda grass will go dormant and turn brown when the temperatures drop to frost. Then when the temperatures rise again in the Spring, Bermuda grass will grow and turn green again.
If you are not familiar with Bermuda grass, it is in your best interest to make sure you talk with or hire a Lawn Care Service that is knowledgeable in this area to know fertilization schedules, over-seeding management techniques, utilization of intense mowing schedules for shorter mowing heights than most lawns, accurate irrigation and drying procedures.
Contact Houseman Services at 866-964-PEST as soon as possible so we can treat your property?
Houseman Services is the only complete service company in the Athens, GA area. We provide Weed control, fertilization, shrub care, mulch & pine straw, sod, annual plantings, irrigation, and commercial & residential lawn maintenance. We are also state certified and licensed in wood destroying organisms (termite control), household pest control, public health, and turf & ornamental weed control. We are licensed to control and treat mosquitoes, termites, all pest problems, and turf & ornamental weed control. Contact the professionals at Houseman Services and set up a free inspection of your yard. We have been servicing homes and businesses in the Athens, Clarke County area since 1985!