Did you know bed bugs are a health threat and are one of the most challenging pests out there? Bed bugs are tiny and hard to find; they feed on human blood and take real effort to exterminate. However, there are ways to get rid of and prevent bed bugs in your home or business. Houseman Services responds quickly to your call for help with bed bugs.
Don’t Be Embarrassed.
Anyone can get bed bugs, so don’t worry. The best way to stop bed bugs is to catch them early before the infestation gets too intense. At the first signs of a bed bug, you should call us at 706-769-7826 or contact us online.
Bed Bug Identification is Key
Most people become aware of a bed bug presence when they notice the tell-tale little red bites all over after sleeping. These tiny bloodsuckers know where to hide and how to evade eradication. Bed bugs are tough and reproduce fast. At just 5mm across and less than the size of a pencil eraser, each female can lay 500 eggs in their lifetime.
Bed Bug Eradication Process
Identify & Locate All Bed Bug Infested Areas
The easiest way to avoid a full-on scourge is to catch them early before they have a chance to lay eggs. So, first things first, homeowners should locate the bed bug areas in the home.
Here’s what to look for when discovering if you have bed bugs:
- Live bugs, reddish-brown in color and about the size of a pencil eraser.
- Dark tiny dots on your bedding and mattress.
- Red stains on your bedding from bugs that may have been crushed.
- Small, light-yellow eggs, shells, or small light-yellow shed skins.
If you believe you have found a bed bug, place it in a sealed jar. Then, call Houseman Services. We can take a look and confirm or deny if you, in fact, have bed bugs or another kind of infestation.
Step 2 (after confirmation):
Contain the Bed Bug Infestation
Once you’ve confirmed the bed bugs are there and have service scheduled, the real work begins. You need to physically remove all the bugs, which can be tiresome at best. So here are the steps to take when removing the infestation.
- Your vacuum is exceptionally efficient at containing as many bugs as possible. Go through your home and vacuum any suspected hiding spots. Make sure you hit all the mattresses in the house, the couches, dressers, electronics, and other places the bugs may be hiding.
- Seal up the vacuum bag into another plastic bag, tie it tight, and throw it away. Then, disinfect and clean out your vacuum.
- Any bed sheets or other linens exposed to the bugs will need to be placed in tied plastic bags until washed. Wash everything on the highest heat possible in both the washer and the dryer.
- Anything that can’t go in the washing machine should be put in the dryer at high heat for around 30-40 minutes to kill any residual bugs.
- If you have furniture pieces that cannot be cleaned, you’ll need to get rid of them.
Prepare Your Home for Bed Bug Treatment
After taking care of all the fabrics in the home, make sure you get rid of any other potential bed bug hideouts. They are particularly fond of books, magazines, piles of clothing, anything on your floor or around your bed.
Seal up any potential hiding spots. Tape electrical outlets, move your bed away from the walls so desperate bed bugs can’t climb back on.
Final Step 4:
Houseman Services Destroys Bed Bugs
Now that you’ve finished preparing your home for the treatment, the professionals at Houseman Services will clear your home of bed bugs for good. We will discretely come in and make sure the bugs are eradicated. You’ll want to keep an eye on the situation over the coming months. You can place bed bug interceptors on the legs of the bed to check every seven days.
Additionally, you’ll need to keep checking these for a full year after treatment to confirm the bugs have moved on completely.